Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Pre-Valentine's Day Update

Hi.

So, shortly after my last post, I went out with a guy who was perfect for me. He was a coworker of my coworker's husband, so he was well vetted. He's tall, good-looking, plays softball, is the right age for me, is a responsible adult, a really nice guy, smart, basically the whole package. We went to a great little tapas/wine bar/inoteca type place in midtown, had large glasses of tasty wine and small plates of delicious foods. The conversation flowed easily and we had a lot in common. But. You knew it was coming. There wasn't exactly a spark. You know the one. We laughed and got along well, but there was no teasing, flirty slant to the night. He was a total gentleman and I would have gone on a second date since it seemed wasteful to dismiss such a great guy so quickly, but I never got the chance. The next day I texted him just to say thanks for a nice night. He emailed me back later that day and said he got more of a friends vibe from the evening. I was floored. Not because I didn't feel the same way, but because I didn't expect him to put it out there so truthfully and bluntly. I don't mean that he was rude or anything, in fact he was very complimentary for the first part of the email, I just don't know that I have ever had such an honest end to a (can I call it a relationship if it was just one date? Well, for lack of a better word . . . ) relationship. Is this how adults behave? Cool.

Right now, the only man in my life is my dog. So far we have been unsuccessful at meeting single, age- and situation- appropriate men at the dog run. It is difficult to look alluring with a bag of poop in your hand. And while he is a bit of a cuddlebug, I doubt the dog will be buying me chocolates or flowers this Valentine's Day. What a wonder if he could!

3 comments:

MA said...

you never know. if any dog could, it would be yours (yes i am channeling my father here. what).

love you. happy vday.

Kristina said...

I'd like to treat you to a beer. How about a field trip to Radegast Hall in Brooklyn?

Eva said...

what's wrong with a friends vibe? i think that's a great way for a relationship to start!