Monday, March 14, 2011

So, We Meet Again

Hi friends (since you are the only ones who read this.)

I'm beginning to think this idea of having a meaningful relationship by the time I'm 30 may have been ridiculous. As I've gotten pretty much nowhere. Don't get me wrong, I've had some fun along the way, but as for achieving anything in the romantic realm of my life, not so much.

I chatted up the really cute guy at the dog park the other day, but he and his fiancee are moving to City Island, so that's not going to work. "Plenty of fish" has not netted me anything, and I tried to write a profile for match.com but I timed out of the session and they erased every carefully crafted word. Only those who agonize over their online profile personas would understand how demoralizing it is to spend (let's not embarrass me by actually stating the length of time) awhile putting together what you think are the most witty, sparkling, fresh, enticing, attractive, engaging and true enough tidbits about yourself, pieces of information you hope will be accepted and appreciated by others, into the perfect 500 word summary, only to have it disappear without warning as you move on to select your best, I-only-look-like-I'm-not-trying-hard picture. Honestly, I'm kind of tired of trying. Maybe eHarmony still has my old profile information and I wouldn't have to spend any time making up a new one. Or maybe one of you wants to write it for me? What do you think? eHarmony seems also to have sensed my, not exactly desperation, but my sense of not knowing where else to turn, as they've recently emailed me an offer on a 3-month membership.

I'm just not sure I want to do that again. Sure, it's fun in that it's kind of like online shopping, and sometimes what you've put in your cart takes you out for a dinner or two, but then what if nothing comes of it? It'll be even more proof that my profile-writing isn't perfect, and that's just one more thing to be insecure about.

2 comments:

Erin said...

OOoh I've missed your blog! I haven't read it in far too long, but it's lovely catching up! Love it! And keep your head up. Your Mr. Right will come at the right time; I promise. The wait is just the frustrating part...

NPO said...

There are no mature men younger than 30, they are all still living at home with mommy so they can keep partying.