Thursday, July 21, 2011

What's good for the goose may not be good for the other goose. Or something like that.

Hi there folks!

I was talking with a friend who I hadn't had a good chat with since around the time of my last post or maybe before, which is to say that it had been far too long. She is one of the few actual followers of the blog, and as any good friend would do, took me to task for leaving her hanging so long. She proposed a happy circumstance: that perhaps I was so consumed spending time with my newly discovered Mr. Wonderful that I hadn't the time between exciting, meaningful sex and romantic, delicious meals to update my faithful readers. Sadly friends, that was not the case. Until today, I had not been on a date since December, which I'm pretty sure I told you about (though I'll check just to be sure.)

So, "How did it go?", I imagine you wonder, or I would wonder why you bother to read this. I'll get to that, but let me tell you how the date came about in the first place. My mom, as you may remember, is an avid promoter of my love life. Really, if Times Square would allow her to rent a billboard, she would do it, and it would have my vital statistics, zodiac sign and phone number on it. As per her contract, when she heard that Jane, a high school friend, was moving back to the city to teach/research at a prestigious university, she informed me of the potential dating mine this might open up. Math geeks and post-docs and profs, oh my! Anyway, I relayed my mother's scheme to Jane so that she could start to keeping her eyes peeled, she in turn relayed it to her fiance over the phone while in her office, and her officemate obligingly offered up an unsuspecting friend. Who needs facebook when you've got networking skills like these! Actually, Jane did, since she had to proffer evidence in answer to the officemate's first question: "Is she hot?" Apparently, I passed muster. Jane got to see a picture of the friend, and deemed him worthy as well. And we were off to the races.

Well, to the recently gentrified uptown neighborhood.

Jane had given me the guy's email and phone number. Not wanting to seem too forward, I emailed Jake and introduced myself, which was kind of awkward since I wasn't exactly sure what he had heard. Anyway, he emailed me back, seemed nice, so we made plans to meet up in Harlem for a drink. Too bad it was one of the hottest days of the year. It's hard to pick out an outfit when your major concern is what will hide your back sweat best. Well, we met, he was attractive and interesting, and the conversation was easy and fun. Jake is a guy who talks about his family both lovingly and with some deprecating humor, which I appreciate, and talks about his job with enthusiasm but not too seriously. He likes to travel and is ready with a bag at work every Friday in case he finds a cheap fare somewhere. This was all appealing to me. Except, at one point I mistakenly calculated that he is younger than me by a couple of years, and almost instantaneously I thought he would be perfect for my younger sister. After that, there was no saving it. All I could picture was how cute they'd be together, and it was impossible to replace her person with my own.

That's the problem; Jake's exactly the kind of guy you'd want your sister to date. He's a decent, caring, employed, good-looking, polite, seemingly responsible, dog-loving guy. He and I just didn't have any "pop", you know? And since it's been almost two weeks since we met and I haven't heard from him, apparently he felt the same way. Now, I can't truly say whether he and my sister would either, but that matters less to me ;o). As long as she's with a good guy, I'd rather she not have drama. The only thing I worry about with my sister is that sometimes she can be a little rigid, so I want a guy who would push her to loosen up, go crazy once in awhile (and not in a type-A personality kind of a way). I think Jake would do that. Noe the only question is, how do you ask a guy you went out with if maybe he'd rather date your sister?

Anybody?

2 comments:

MA said...

HAHAHAHAHAH. i love this! i also have this problem alllllllllllll the time. im like... hm. you know who you'd love? MY SISTER. i don't know if it's exactly the same because this isn't on dates, but still - constant thought process.

POST AGAIN

Erin said...

Aaand apparently I haven't read your blog since we talked, but I'm glad to see some new posts! Now I've got some material to read. Oh - I have a new blog that I'm working on - I'll send you details for it soon.