Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Last True Gentleman?

Hello! So I have a conundrum folks. I never seem to realize when someone is making a pass at me, unless it is of the kind that is so obvious as to be ridiculous. I mean, I don't think it happens very often, at least not that I've noticed, but there have been a couple of times where it'll hit me a couple of days after the event that I might have inadvertently dodged a pickup attempt. And I am in no situation to let viable offers just slip away! I worry about this now, because I think it may be happening again.

When I first moved to New York, I met someone who went to my University, but left just before I got there. He's in the same profession as me and is a cool guy, so we had a lot to talk about and became friends. Not close friends, but more of the "hey it's been months since I've talked to Adam, I wonder if he wants to grab a drink?" type of friend. Over the summer he threw some work my way, and we went out to dinner (wine and dessert as well). He paid (though I offered to go dutch), because he said I saved him from a lot of work, and thus he wanted to thank me. Super sweet right? And then he offered to walk me home. I was a block from my apartment and it was maybe 9pm. And he lived a block in the other direction and uptown a bit. So it made me wonder, is he interested in me? He had had a girlfriend for a long time previously, but had broken up because it became long distance. I like to think I'm attractive and mostly fun to be around, so it's not totally out of the question, but did I read too much into it? Maybe his Momma just raised him right!

Okay, so time passes and both our schedules got crowded, so we didn't meet up again until earlier this week. Dinner and then coffee at a neighborhood place. But dinner could not have been in a tinier, more lowly lit setting. And then he walked me to the subway. And he lives in the other direction. And it was definitely not later than 8:15pm. Both times, just a hug goodbye, and no look for more than that that I could see. So, it makes me wonder if I am mistaking his gentlemanliness for romantic interest. Have I just never been out with a genuinely well-mannered man? That is a sad sad thought. There must be hundreds of Goofuses for every Gallant. I think it's probably a safe bet that in Manhattan the ratio might be even more skewed in favor of the former. I think it's a prerequisite to work at any top finance firm. I would love to hear tales of gentlemen, or even (gasp!) chivalry, to counter my jaded single New Yorker view; so if you have 'em, send 'em along!

1 comment:

Erin said...

OK, so first of all - I want to know who this guy is. Secondly - I finally learned how to comment (woohoo!).

Thirdly - I think in a situation like that what you need to do is suss it out a bit. I mean, perhaps he's waiting for some sign from you and you're just waiting for a sign from him. I'd start with touching him and seeing how he reacts - not like crazy groping, but more put your hand on his arm for emphasis when you're saying something, or his knee if you're sitting that way. See how he reacts. If nothing else, it might just be the green light, or encouragement that he needs.

That's my $0.02. Good luck!